Cod with cream2013-01-21
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 45m
- Ready In : 55m
Rate this recipe:
In a lunch among friends, is always good to present comfort food prepared in the oven. The best option is the traditional cod with cream! Adapts to any occasion and is excellent served with salad. Try this recipe!
Units: Metric / (Units: US)
- 3 desalted cod steaks (about 800 grams / (1 3/4 pounds))
- 1.2 kg / (2 2/3 pounds) potatoes
- 2 medium onions
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 200 ml / (3/4 cup and 1 1/2 tablespoons) whipping cream
- 300 ml / (1 1/4 cups) béchamel
- Salt (to taste)
- 50 ml / (3 1/3 tablespoons) olive oil
- Nutmeg (to taste)
- Juice of half lemon
- Grated cheese (to taste)
- Place the cod steaks in a saucepan with water and bring to a boil over high heat. When starts boiling, reduce to low heat and cook about 6 to 7 minutes. Turn off the heat and drain the cod with a skimmer. Let cool slightly and remove the skin and bones. Flake the cod with a fork and set aside.
- Meanwhile, peel and wash the potatoes. Cut them into cubes, season with some salt and fry in hot oil (don’t fry too much). When the potatoes are fried, place them on a dish with absorbent paper.
- Put the olive oil, chopped onions and the chopped garlics in a saucepan and saute over low heat until the onion starts to turn golden brown. Add the potatoes and the cod, stir gently with a spoon and cook about 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC / (350ºF).
- In a bowl, pour the cream and the béchamel. Season with nutmeg and lemon juice and mix well.
- Place the potatoes and cod mixture in a rectangular baking dish. Cover with the béchamel mixture and sprinkle with grated cheese. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown. Turn off the oven and serve with salad.