Cod with cream2013-01-21
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 50m
- Ready In : 1:05 h
Rate this recipe:
At a lunch with friends, prepare a meal made in the oven that gives comfort. The best option is the traditional cod with cream! Adapts to any occasion and is excellent served with salad. Try this recipe!
Units: Metric / (Units: US)
- 3 desalted cod steaks (about 800 grams / (1 3/4 pounds))
- 1.2 kg / (2 2/3 pounds) potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 200 ml / (3/4 cup and 1 1/2 tablespoons) whipping cream
- Pepper (to taste)
- 300 ml / (1 1/4 cups) béchamel
- Salt (to taste)
- 50 ml / (3 1/3 tablespoons) olive oil
- Nutmeg (to taste)
- Juice of half lemon
- Grated cheese (to taste)
- Put the cod steaks in a saucepan with water and boil over high heat. When starts boiling, reduce to low heat and cook about 6 to 7 minutes. Turn off the heat and drain the cod with a skimmer. Let cool slightly and remove the skin and bones. Flake the cod with a fork and set aside.
- Meanwhile, peel and wash the potatoes. Cut them into small cubes, season with some salt and fry in hot oil (don’t fry too much). When the potatoes are fried, place them on a dish with absorbent paper.
- Put the olive oil, the chopped onion and the chopped garlics in a saucepan and saute over low heat until the onion start to turn slightly golden brown. Add the potatoes and the cod and season with pepper. Stir gently with a spoon and cook for about 6 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC / (350ºF).
- In a bowl, combine together the cream, the béchamel, nutmeg and the lemon juice.
- Put the potatoes and the cod mixture in a baking dish. Drizzle with the béchamel mixture and sprinkle with grated cheese. Bake until golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes. Turn off the oven and serve with lettuce and tomato salad.