- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 45m
- Ready In : 1:15 h
Rate this recipe:
This typical Portuguese recipe of cod fritters is appreciated by all, can be served with lettuce salad or with a delicious tomato rice. Try it!
Units: Metric / (Units: US)
- 1 kg / (2 1/4 pounds) potatoes
- 500 grams / (17 1/2 ounces) desalted cod
- 5 eggs
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 bunch of parsley
- Pepper (to taste)
- 1 small onion
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Put them in a saucepan with water together with the cod. Bring to a boil over high heat. When starts boiling, reduce to medium-low heat and cook about 25 minutes. Remove the cod about 5 to 6 minutes after the water starts boiling. Drain the cod with a skimmer and let cool slightly. Remove the skins and bones and flake the cod with a fork. Wrap the cod in a cloth and crush it against a kitchen table or a marble stone.
- Drain the potatoes when they are cooked. Place the potatoes in a deep bowl and mash them with a potato masher. Add the chopped onion, chopped parsley, pepper, the crushed cod, eggs and salt if necessary. Mix everything with your hands until a homogeneous dough.
- Mold small portions of the mixture with two tablespoons. Heat the oil in a deep fryer (place a cork stopper in the oil to not make foam). When the oil is hot, add the cod fritters and fry them until golden. When they are fried, place them on a plate with absorbent paper.
- Serve the cod fritters with lettuce salad or tomato rice.