- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 5m
- Cook Time : 40m
- Ready In : 2:45 h
Rate this recipe:
A delicious typical Portuguese soup, with excellent presentation, confectioned with dogfish seasoned with olive oil, garlics, pepper, coriander, vinegar and bay leaf, served with bread cut into pieces.
Units: Metric / (Units: US)
- 4 dogfish steaks (about 900 grams / (2 pounds))
- 150 ml / (1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons) olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- Pepper (to taste)
- 1 liter / (4 1/4 cups) water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 bunch of coriander
- Salt (to taste)
- Crusty bread slices (to taste)
- In a large bowl place the water and the dogfish steaks. Season with salt, bay leaves, pepper, 50 ml / (3 1/3 tablespoons) olive oil, vinegar and chopped coriander. Leave to marinate about two hours.
- In a pan place the remaining olive oil and the chopped garlics. Leave to sauté over low heat about three to four minutes. Add the dogfish steaks and cook in the sauté about five minutes (turn the steaks at least once). Pour the marinade water (enough to completely cover the fish) with all the seasonings, increase to high heat and simmer. When starts boiling, reduce to medium-high heat and cook about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl mix well the flour with a little water. Set aside.
- When the fish is cooked, drain it and place on a plate (remove also the bay leaves). Add the dissolved flour to the cooking water, stir and cook about five minutes. Add again the dogfish steaks to the pan, cook more two to three minutes and turn off the heat.
- Serve the soup with crusty bread cut into pieces (the traditional way is to place the bread pieces in the bottom of the dish and pour the soup and the fish on top).