Chicken and chouriço rice in the oven2015-08-05
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 1:40 h
- Ready In : 1:55 h
If you like meals prepared in the oven, you will love this chicken and chouriço rice recipe in the oven. It’s ideal for a family lunch! Bon appetit!!!
Units: Metric (Units: US)
- 1/2 chicken (about 750 grams (1 2/3 pounds))
- 150 grams (5 1/3 ounces) Portuguese chouriço
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- Nutmeg (to taste)
- 2 medium onions
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 250 grams (1 1/4 cups) rice
- A drizzle of olive oil
- 1 egg yolk
- Salt (to taste)
- Place the chicken and the chouriço in a saucepan with water seasoned with a pinch of salt, a peeled onion and a drizzle of olive oil. Boil over high heat. When starts boiling, reduce to medium heat and cook for about 40 minutes. When is cooked, drain the chicken and the chouriço with a skimmer and reserve the cooking water. Remove the skin and bones from the chicken and flake with a fork. Peel the skin from chouriço and cut into small pieces; set aside.
- In a saucepan, place the olive oil, chopped onion, chopped garlic, the flaked chicken and the chouriço. Season with nutmeg and cook over low heat about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the rice and season with a little salt. Stir, pour the cooking water (enough water to completely cover the mixture) and boil over high heat. When starts boiling, reduce to low heat and cook for about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
- Place the previous mixture on a baking dish and brush with egg yolk.
Bake until golden brown, about 45 minutes. Serve with lettuce and tomato salad.