- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 1:20 h
- Ready In : 1:40 h
Rate this recipe:
A recipe that the whole family will like, flaked cod braised in onion and olive oil that goes to the oven with mashed potato.
Units: Metric / (Units: US)
- 3 desalted cod steaks (about 800 grams / (1 3/4 pounds))
- 2 medium onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 50 ml / (3 1/3 tablespoons) olive oil
- 1.2 kg / (2 2/3 pounds) potatoes
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- Pepper (to taste)
- 300 ml / (1 1/4 cups) milk
- Juice of half a lemon
- Nutmeg (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
- Peel and wash the potatoes. Place them in a saucepan with water seasoned with salt and bring to a boil over high heat. When starts boiling, reduce to medium heat and cook about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the cod steaks in a saucepan with water and boil over high heat. When starts boiling, reduce to medium heat and cook about 5 minutes. When the cod is cooked, drain it with a skimmer. Remove the skins and the bones, flake the cod with a fork and set aside.
- When the potatoes are cooked, drain them and mash the potatoes with a potato masher or with a fork. Place the potato in a saucepan together with the lemon juice, pepper, nutmeg, margarine and milk. Stir well with a wooden spoon and simmer over low heat until the puree starts bubbling, stirring occasionally. When starts boiling turn off the heat and set aside.
- Place the olive oil, the onions cut into round slices and the chopped garlic in a saucepan and saute over low heat until the onion starts to turn golden brown. Add the flaked cod seasoned with a little pepper, stir and simmer about 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180ºC / (350ºF).
- Place the cod with the braised in a rectangular baking dish and on top, spread the mashed potato with a spatula. Brush with the egg yolk slightly beaten and bake about 25 minutes until golden brown. Turn off the oven and serve.