Cod in the oven with egg and Portuguese cornbread2014-04-17
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 55m
- Ready In : 1:15 h
Must try this cod recipe in the oven with potatoes sprinkled with a delicious Portuguese cornbread mixture.
Units: Metric (Units: US)
- 4 desalted cod steaks (about 1 kg (2 1/4 pounds))
- 1 kg (2 1/4 pounds) potatoes
- 4 eggs
- 200 ml (about 1 cup) olive oil
- Pepper (to taste)
- 2 medium onions
- 150 grams (5 1/3 ounces) Portuguese cornbread
- 4 cloves of garlic
- Parsley (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
- Peel, wash the potatoes and cut them into round slices. Put the potatoes in a saucepan with water seasoned with salt and bring to a boil over high heat. When starts boiling, reduce to medium-low heat and cook about 20 minutes. When the potatoes are cooked, drain them and set aside. Meanwhile, bake three eggs in another saucepan. When the eggs are cooked, remove the peel and cut them into round slices; set aside.
- Place the cod in a saucepan with water. Bring to a high heat and boil about four to five minutes. Turn off the heat and drain the cod with a skimmer. Remove the skins and bones and flake the cod with a fork; set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
- Cut the Portuguese cornbread into pieces. Place the cornbread, the peeled garlic and the parsley in a food processor and pulse until fine crumbs.
- On a baking dish put a layer of onions cut into round slices and another layer of potatoes. On top, place the flaked cod and season with a little pepper and salt if necessary. Cover with the remaining potatoes, the sliced onions and the eggs cut into round slices. Season with some pepper, sprinkle with the cornbread mixture and drizzle everything with olive oil. Bake about 25 minutes.
- Turn off the oven and serve.