- Servings : 5
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 1:40 h
- Ready In : 1:55 h
Rate this recipe:
Traditional and very tasty, this duck rice recipe is ideal for a family lunch. Serve with salad and a good red wine…
Units: Metric / (Units: US)
- 800 grams / (1 3/4 pounds) duck
- 1 medium onion
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 100 ml / (6 3/4 tablespoons) olive oil
- 14 (8 for garnish) Portuguese chorizo slices (about 75 grams / (2 2/3 ounces))
- 1 egg yolk
- 300 grams / (10 1/2 ounces) rice
- Pepper (to taste)
- Nutmeg (to taste)
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 bunch of coriander
- Salt (to taste)
- Place the duck in a saucepan with 1.5 liters / (6 1/3 cups) water seasoned with a peeled onion, salt, a chicken stock cube and a bunch of coriander. Bring to a boil over high heat. When starts boiling, reduce to medium-low heat and cook the duck about 40 minutes. When the duck is cooked, drain it with a skimmer and let cool slightly. Remove the skins and bones, flake it with a fork and season with nutmeg, pepper, three chopped garlic and lemon juice. Reserve the cooking water.
- In another saucepan, place 50 ml / (3 1/3 tablespoons) olive oil, two chopped garlic and saute over low heat about two to three minutes. Add the rice, season with some salt, stir and fry the rice in the olive oil for about one minute. Pour the duck cooking water (twice the rice volume), stir and bring to a boil over high heat. When starts boiling, reduce to low heat and cook about 10 minutes.
- In a skillet, pour the remaining olive oil, the chopped onion and saute over low heat until the onion starts to turn golden brown. Then, add the duck with the spices and six chorizo slices cut into small pieces. Stir and cook over low heat about five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC / (350ºF).
- In a rectangular baking dish, place a layer of rice, a duck layer and finally, another of rice. Brush with egg yolk, garnish with the remaining chorizo slices and bake for 30 minutes until golden.
- Remove from the oven and serve with salad and a good red wine.