Pain au chocolat2013-12-07
- Servings : 10 units
- Prep Time : 45m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 2:20 h
Rate this recipe:
Dough confectioned with flour, eggs, sugar, margarine, salt, milk and baker’s yeast, stuffed with chocolate, that goes to oven brushed with egg yolk, garnished with grated chocolate and powdered sugar.
Units: Metric / (Units: US)
- 100 ml / (6 3/4 tablespoons) milk
- 125 grams / (4 1/2 ounces) margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 300 grams / (10 1/2 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 15 grams / (1/2 ounce) baker’s yeast
- 25 grams / (1 ounce) sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 150 grams / (5 1/3 ounces) dark chocolate
- For garnish:
- Powdered sugar
- Grated chocolate
- In a bowl, mix the flour together with the salt, 25 grams / (1 ounce) margarine and the sugar. Add the eggs and the milk and mix well. Finally, add the baker’s yeast and knead everything well.
- Sprinkle a table with a little flour and, place the dough on the table. Knead the dough a little more until forms a ball and, place in a bowl covered with cling film. Let stand about an hour.
- Place again the dough on a table sprinkled with flour, extend it with the help of a rolling pin. Cut thin pieces of the remaining margarine and place on top of the dough. Fold the dough over the margarine, so that the margarine stay completely covered with the dough. Extend the dough with a rolling pin, fold in three, and extend again the dough with the rolling pin. Repeat this process at least two more times.
- Once this process is completed, extend the dough thinly (with about 0,5 centimeters / (1/4 inch) thick). Cut with the help a knife 10 squares with about 15 centimeters / (6 inches) long and 5 centimeters / (2 inches) wide and, place on top of each one, two chocolate squares. Roll the dough on top of a square and then over the other.
- Line a baking tray with tracing paper. Place them on the tray and let stand about 15 minutes.
- Brush each one with beaten egg yolk and bring to preheated oven at 200°C / (400ºF) about 20 minutes until golden. Remove from oven and garnish with grated chocolate and powdered sugar.