- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 1:10 h
- Ready In : 1:25 h
Rate this recipe:
A typical recipe much appreciated in our country. The Portuguese stew is prepared in various ways, try our recipe!
Units: Metric / (Units: US)
- 1 savoy cabbage
- 1 turnip
- 3 carrots
- 1.2 kg / (2 2/3 pounds) potatoes
- 750 grams / (1 2/3 pounds) beef
- 150 grams / (5 1/3 ounces) Portuguese chorizo
- 1 farinheira (Portuguese smoked sausage)
- 1 chispe (pig paw)
- 1 pig’s ear
- 1 blood sausage
- 250 grams / (8 3/4 ounces) rice
- Salt (to taste)
- Place the beef, chispe (pig paw), the pig’s ear and the Portuguese chorizo in a pressure cooker with water seasoned with salt and simmer about 30 minutes. When everything is cooked, remove to a plate and reserve the cooking water. Place the farinheira (Portuguese smoked sausage) and the blood sausage in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. When starts boiling, reduce to low heat and cook about 7 to 8 minutes. Turn off the heat, drain and set aside.
- Remove a little of the cooking water into a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. When starts boiling, reduce to low heat, add the rice and season with a little salt. Stir and cook about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and wash the potatoes. Put them in a pan with the remaining cooking water, the savoy cabbage cut into pieces, the carrots cut into strips, the turnip and bring to a boil over high heat. When starts boiling, reduce to medium-low heat and cook about 25 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and serve.