Rice with minced meat in the oven2013-03-24
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 5m
- Cook Time : 50m
- Ready In : 55m
Rate this recipe:
Want to give a special touch to the minced meat? Prepare it with rice and bake in the oven brushed with egg yolk! It’s easy and stays with an excellent presentation.
Units: Metric / (Units: US)
- 150 grams / (5 1/3 ounces) minced beef
- 150 grams / (5 1/3 ounces) minced pork
- Nutmeg (to taste)
- 300 grams / (10 1/2 ounces) rice
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 100 ml / (6 3/4 tablespoons) olive oil
- 2 medium onions
- Pepper (to taste)
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes
- 1 egg yolk
- Salt (to taste)
- Season the meat with salt, chopped garlic, nutmeg and pepper. Mix the seasonings into the meat and set aside.
- In a saucepan, put the olive oil (50 ml / (3 1/3 tablespoons)), a chopped onion, the peeled tomatoes cut into small pieces and cook over low heat until the tomato start to break down. Add the meat, stir and cook about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, put the remaining olive oil and the chopped onion in a saucepan and saute over low heat until the onion starts to turn golden brown. Add the rice and season with some salt. Stir and fry in the olive oil for approximately one minute. Pour the water (twice the rice volume) and boil over medium-high heat. When starts boiling, reduce to low heat and cook about ten minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC / (350ºF).
- In a rectangular baking dish place a layer of rice, over the top, a layer of meat and, finally, another layer of rice. Brush with egg yolk and bake about 20 to 25 minutes until golden.
- Turn off the oven and serve.