This cod recipe in the oven is divine, cooked with shrimp and gratin with béchamel sauce and grated cheese.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER
- 3 desalted cod steaks (about 700 grams / (1 1/2 pounds))
- 1 kg / (2 1/4 pounds) potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 50 ml / (3 1/3 tablespoons) olive oil
- Parsley (to taste)
- 400 grams / (14 ounces) shrimp
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 200 ml / (3/4 cup and 1 1/2 tablespoons) béchamel
- 200 ml / (3/4 cup and 1 1/2 tablespoons) whipping cream
- Pepper (to taste)
- 75 grams / (2 2/3 ounces) grated cheese
- A drizzle of olive oil to cook the shrimp
- 1 small onion to cook the shrimp
- Salt (to taste)
- Place the cod in a saucepan with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. When starts boiling, reduce to medium heat and cook about 5 minutes. Place the shrimp in another saucepan with water seasoned with salt, a drizzle olive oil and a small onion. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to low heat and cook about 6 to 7 minutes. When the cod is cooked, drain it with a skimmer. Remove the skin and bones and flake it with a fork. When the shrimp is cooked, drain it and allow to cool. Peel the shrimp and cut into small pieces; set aside.
- Peel and wash the potatoes. Cut them into cubes, season with salt and fry in hot oil. When the potatoes are fried, place them on a plate over absorbent paper; set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC / (350ºF).
- In a saucepan, place the olive oil, the chopped onion and the chopped garlic. Saute over low heat until the onion starts to turn golden brown. Add the flaked cod and the shrimp pieces, season with pepper and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes over low heat. Then, add the fries and fold in the mixture. Pour the cream, stir with a spoon and boil for 2 to 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Place the mixture in a baking dish, drizzle with béchamel and sprinkle with grated cheese. Bake about 20 to 25 minutes until gratin. Remove the baking dish from the oven and serve.