This our cake filled with cream is a temptation and the chocolate topping gives a divine touch…Try it, you won’t regret…
Follow us for more recipes
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER
For the cake:
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) milk
- 250 grams (1 3/4 cups) all-purpose flour
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) softened margarine
- 200 grams (about 1 cup) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon liquid caramel
- 4 eggs
- Zest of one lemon
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
- 100 ml (1/2 cup) milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- Zest of a lemon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 125 grams (4 1/2 ounces) dark chocolate
- 75 grams (1/2 cup) powdered sugar
- 125 grams (1/2 cup) softened margarine
For the filling:
For the topping:
- For the cake:
Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF). Grease a round cake pan (25 x 6 centimeters (9 3/4 x 2 1/3 inches)) with margarine and sprinkle with flour.
- Separate the yolks from the whites. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form and store in the fridge.
- In an electric mixer, beat on medium speed the egg yolks together with the sugar and the lemon zest until obtain a creamy mixture. Add the softened margarine, milk and the liquid caramel and beat for 2 to 3 minutes to incorporate. Reduce the mixer speed to low, add the flour mixed with the baking powder and beat until obtain a homogeneous and creamy mixture. Finally, fold gently with a spatula the whipped egg whites.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes (the time depends on the oven). Remove the cake from the oven, unmold and allow to cool completely.
- For the filling:
In a bowl, whisk well the egg yolks and the whole egg; set aside.
- Pour the milk, sugar, lemon peel and the cinnamon stick in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. When starts boiling, reduce to low heat and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Then, add the eggs mixture and stir well. Place back the saucepan over low heat and stir with a wire whisk until obtain a very creamy mixture (pass a wooden spoon in the bottom of the saucepan and if it leaves a trail like a road, the sweet is ready). Turn off the heat, remove the cinnamon stick and the lemon peel and set aside.
- For the topping:
Place the chocolate broken into pieces in a bowl and melt in the microwave.
- In an electric mixer, beat on medium speed the powdered sugar and the softened margarine until obtain a creamy and homogeneous texture. Add the melted chocolate, without stop beating.
- Slice the cake in half with a long sharp knife. Place the bottom slice of the cake on a platter and spread with the cream. Cover with the top slice of the cake and spread with the chocolate. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.