The flavors combination of this cinnamon roll cake filled with strawberry cream is wonderful and a temptation. It’s light, pleasant and ideal for a party.
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 100 grams (2/3 cup) brown sugar
- 100 grams (3/4 cup) all-purpose flour
- 75 grams (1/3 cup) softened margarine
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon liquid caramel
- Sugar for dusting
- 150 grams (5 1/3 ounces) strawberries
For the filling:
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
- Separate the yolks from the whites. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form and reserve in the fridge.
- In an electric mixer, beat on medium speed the egg yolks, the brown sugar and the lemon zest until obtain a creamy mixture. Add the softened margarine, cinnamon, the liquid caramel and mix for 2 to 3 minutes until well incorporated. Reduce the mixer speed to low, add the flour mixed with the baking powder and beat until a homogeneous and creamy mixture. Finally, fold gently with a spatula the whipped egg whites.
- Line a baking tray (36 x 30 centimeters (14 1/4 x 11 3/4 inches)) with butter and parchment paper and spread the dough over the top with the help of a spatula. Bake for about 15 minutes until slightly golden (the time depends on the oven).
- When the cake is cooked, remove from oven, let cool slightly and sprinkle with sugar. Place a tea towel over top and flip the cake over the table. Remove the tray and peel carefully the parchment paper. Cut with a knife the edges of the cake. Using the towel, start rolling the cake gently from one short end to the other; set aside.
- For the filling:
Wash and remove the stem from the strawberries. Place the strawberries in a blender and blend on high until obtain a creamy mixture.
- Unroll the cake and spread the filling with a spatula. Then, re-roll slowly to not break the cake (remove the towel as you rolling). Place the roll cake on a rectangular plate and serve.