Like coconut taste and want a different cake? Try this coconut roll cake recipe, have excellent presentation and is very tasty.
- 50 grams (1 3/4 ounces) grated coconut
- 4 eggs
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
- 100 ml (1/2 cup) milk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) softened margarine
- 75 grams (1/2 cup) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
- Separate the yolks from the whites. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form and reserve in the fridge.
- In an electric mixer, beat on medium speed the egg yolks together with the sugar until a creamy mixture. Add the softened margarine, milk, coconut, vanilla extract, honey and mix for 3 to 4 minutes until it’s nicely incorporated. Reduce the mixer speed to low, add the flour mixed with the baking powder and beat until obtain a homogeneous and creamy mixture. Finally, fold gently with a spatula the whipped egg whites.
- Line a baking tray (36 x 30 centimeters (14 1/4 x 11 3/4 inches)) with butter and parchment paper and spread the dough over the top with the help of a spatula. Bake for about 15 minutes until slightly golden (the time depends on the oven).
- When the cake is cooked, remove from oven and sprinkle the cake with sugar. Place a tea towel over top and flip the cake over the table. Remove the tray and peel carefully the parchment paper. Cut with a knife the edges of the cake. Using the towel, start rolling the cake gently from one short end to the other (remove the towel as you rolling).
- Place the roll cake on a rectangular plate, garnish with grated coconut and serve.