Want to impress in a lunch with family or among friends? You must prepare this recipe of cod puffs with caramelized apple and egg. It’s a fusion of spectacular flavors that will impress! Dare yourself!
- 2 desalted cod steaks (about 500 grams / (17 1/2 ounces))
- 1 medium onion
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 eggs
- 50 ml / (3 1/3 tablespoons) olive oil
- 2 medium red apples
- Pepper (to taste)
- Nutmeg (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 200 grams / (7 ounces) frozen puff pastry
- Put the cod in a saucepan with water and boil over high heat. When starts boiling, reduce to low heat and cook about 6 to 7 minutes. When the cod is cooked, drain it with a skimmer. Remove the skin and bones and flake the cod with a fork; set aside.
- Boil the eggs in another saucepan. When the eggs are cooked, peel them and cut into slices; set aside.
- Wash, peel the apples and remove the seeds. Cut into quarters and put them together with the water and the brown sugar in a saucepan over low heat about 10 minutes until caramelize, stirring occasionally.
- Put the olive oil and the chopped onion in a saucepan and saute over low heat until the onion start to turn slightly golden. Add the flaked cod, season with some pepper and nutmeg and cook about 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC / (350ºF). Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Put the dough on a table sprinkled with some flour and roll out the pastry with a rolling pin. Cut the dough into squares (6 squares with 10 centimeters / (4 inches)).
- On top of a square dough, place a layer of egg slices, a cod layer and another of apple. Put on top another square dough and repeat the same procedure. Close with a square dough and brush with beaten egg yolk. Repeat the same procedure for the other puff.
- Put the puffs on the baking tray and bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the puffs from the oven and serve with lettuce salad.