A recipe much appreciated in our country. Cod in the oven with mashed potato, topped with onion and mayonnaise and garnished with olives.
- 3 desalted cod steaks (about 800 grams / (1 3/4 pounds))
- 2 medium onions
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- Nutmeg (to taste)
- 10 grams / (1/3 ounce) margarine
- 150 ml / (1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons) mayonnaise
- 1 kg / (2 1/4 pounds) potatoes
- 1/2 liter milk
- Juice of half a lemon
- Olives for garnish
- 50 ml / (3 1/3 tablespoons) olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- Peel, wash and cut the potatoes into quarters. Place them in a saucepan with water seasoned with salt and bring to a boil over high heat. When starts boiling, reduce to medium heat and cook about 20 to 25 minutes. When the potatoes are cooked, drain them and mash the potatoes with a potato masher or with a fork.
- In a saucepan, put the potatoes together with the lemon juice, pepper, nutmeg, margarine and 250 ml / (1 cup and 1 tablespoon) milk. Stir well with a wooden spoon and simmer over low heat until the puree starts bubbling, stirring occasionally. When starts boiling turn off the heat.
- Place the cod in a saucepan with the remaining milk. Heat over high heat and boil. When starts boiling, reduce to medium-low heat and cook for 5 to 6 minutes. When the cod is cooked, drain it and remove the skin and bones. Reserve the cod cooking milk.
- Place the olive oil, the onions cut into round slices, chopped garlic and the bay leaf in a skillet and saute over low heat until the onion starts to turn golden brown. Then, pour the cod cooking milk and simmer about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180ºC / (350ºF).
- Place the cod in the center of a baking dish and the puree around the cod. Cover the cod with a layer of onion and other of mayonnaise. Garnish with olives and bake about 20 minutes until gratin. Turn off the oven and serve.