A recipe much appreciated in our country. Cod in the oven with mashed potato, topped with onion and mayonnaise and garnished with olives.
Follow us for more recipes
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER
- 3 desalted cod steaks (about 800 grams / (1 3/4 pounds))
- 2 medium onions
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- Nutmeg (to taste)
- 10 grams / (1/3 ounce) margarine
- 150 ml / (1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons) mayonnaise
- 1 kg / (2 1/4 pounds) potatoes
- 1/2 liter milk
- Juice of half a lemon
- Olives for garnish
- 50 ml / (3 1/3 tablespoons) olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- Peel, wash and cut the potatoes into quarters. Place them in a saucepan with water seasoned with salt and bring to a boil over high heat. When starts boiling, reduce to medium heat and cook about 20 to 25 minutes. When the potatoes are cooked, drain them and mash the potatoes with a potato masher or with a fork.
- In a saucepan, put the potatoes together with the lemon juice, pepper, nutmeg, margarine and 250 ml / (1 cup and 1 tablespoon) milk. Stir well with a wooden spoon and simmer over low heat until the puree starts bubbling, stirring occasionally. When starts boiling turn off the heat.
- Place the cod in a saucepan with the remaining milk. Heat over high heat and boil. When starts boiling, reduce to medium-low heat and cook for 5 to 6 minutes. When the cod is cooked, drain it and remove the skin and bones. Reserve the cod cooking milk.
- Place the olive oil, the onions cut into round slices, chopped garlic and the bay leaf in a skillet and saute over low heat until the onion starts to turn golden brown. Then, pour the cod cooking milk and simmer about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180ºC / (350ºF).
- Place the cod in the center of a baking dish and the puree around the cod. Cover the cod with a layer of onion and other of mayonnaise. Garnish with olives and bake about 20 minutes until gratin. Turn off the oven and serve.