Delicious croissant, with excellent presentation, prepared with a dough confectioned with flour, baker’s yeast, sugar, milk, margarine and eggs, stuffed with cream, which goes to oven brushed with beaten egg yolk, garnished with powdered sugar.
- For the dough:
- 300 grams / (10 1/2 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 25 grams / (1 ounce) sugar
- 100 ml / (6 3/4 tablespoons) milk
- 125 grams / (4 1/2 ounces) margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 15 grams / (1/2 ounce) baker's yeast
- Powdered sugar for garnish
- 70 ml / (4 2/3 tablespoons) milk
- 70 grams / (2 1/2 ounces) sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 lemon peel
- 1 cinnamon stick
For the cream:
- For the cream:
In a bowl, whisk well the egg yolks with the whole egg; set aside.
- In a saucepan, pour the milk, lemon peel, sugar, the cinnamon stick and, bring to a low heat. Simmer about two to three minutes and turn off the heat. Let to cool slightly.
- Add the eggs mixture, stirring constantly. Bring again the pan to heat and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until obtain a very creamy and homogeneous mixture. Set aside.
- For the dough:
Place in a bowl the flour, 25 grams / (1 ounce) margarine, salt, sugar, and knead well. Then, add the milk and the eggs and continue to knead. Finally, mix well the baker’s yeast.
- Sprinkle a table with a little flour. Place the dough on the table. Knead the dough a little more until forms a ball and, place in a bowl covered with cling film. Allow to rest about an hour.
- Place again the dough on a table sprinkled with flour, extend it with the help of a rolling pin. Cut thin pieces of the remaining margarine and place on top of the dough. Fold the dough over the margarine, so that the margarine stay completely covered with the dough. Extend the dough with a rolling pin, fold in three, and extend again the dough with the rolling pin. Repeat this process at least two more times.
- Once this process is completed, extend the dough thinly (with about 0,5 centimeters / (1/4 inch) thick). Cut triangles with about 18 centimeters / (7 inches) tall and 10 centimeters / (4 inches) base. Give a small cut in the vertical in the triangle base, so that the ends leave slightly out. Spread small portions of the cream over the base of each triangle and, roll the dough over the cream toward to the vertex of the triangle.
- Line a baking tray with tracing paper. Place them on the tray and leave them to rest about 15 minutes.
- Brush each one with beaten egg yolk and bring to preheated oven at 200°C / (400ºF) about 15 to 20 minutes until golden. Remove from oven and garnish with powdered sugar.