Do it yourself! Prepare this delicious king cake for your family on Christmas Day. Dare yourself!
- 375 grams (2 2/3 cups) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dry baker’s yeast
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) water
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Zest of one lemon
- 2 eggs
- 25 ml (1 3/4 tablespoons) Port wine
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) margarine to room temperature
- 75 grams (2 2/3 ounces) candied fruit
- 75 grams (2 2/3 ounces) dried fruit
- 1 egg for brushing
- Candied fruit and dried fruit for garnish
- Powdered sugar for garnish
- In a bowl, pour the flour and the baker’s yeast and mix with your hands. Add the sugar, cinnamon, lemon zest and mix well. Then, pour the water, eggs, Port wine, margarine and knead with your hands until a compact mixture.
- Place the dough on a table (preferably wooden) sprinkled with flour. Sprinkle the dough with a little more flour and knead it well until it’s fully involved and soft (go sprinkling the dough with flour if necessary). When this process is completed, let the dough rise in a bowl covered with cling film about 1 hour.
- Remove the cling film and mix the dried fruit and the candied fruit in the dough. Place the dough in a table sprinkled with flour. Sprinkle the dough with a little flour and knead it some more. Place the dough in a baking tray lined with tracing paper and give it a rounded shape with a hole in the middle. Let stand about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
- Whisk an egg in a bowl. Remove the cling film and brush the dough with the beaten egg. Garnish with candied fruit, dried fruit and powdered sugar and bake about 40 to 45 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove the cake from oven and let cool to room temperature. Sprinkle with a little more powdered sugar and serve.