Christmas brings together the whole family and is always a moment of sharing and union, share with your family this Christmas trunk made for you, make your night happier with this wonderful Christmas cake!!
- 125 grams (3/4 cup) dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chocolate powder
- 4 eggs
- 75 grams (1/2 cup) all-purpose flour
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) milk
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) softened margarine
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 200 ml (1/2 pint (236 ml)) heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 150 grams (5 1/3 ounces) dark chocolate
- 75 grams (1/2 cup) powdered sugar
- 125 grams (1/2 cup) softened margarine
- Powdered sugar for garnish
For the filling:
For the topping:
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
- Separate the yolks from the whites. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form and reserve in the fridge.
- In an electric mixer, beat on medium speed the egg yolks and the brown sugar until obtain a quite creamy mixture. Add the softened margarine, milk, chocolate powder and mix for 3 to 4 minutes until it’s nicely incorporated. Reduce the mixer speed to low, add the flour mixed with the baking powder and beat until a homogeneous and creamy mixture. Finally, fold gently with a spatula the whipped egg whites.
- Line a baking tray (36 x 30 centimeters (14 1/4 x 11 3/4 inches)) with butter and parchment paper and spread the dough over the top with a spatula. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until slightly golden (the time depends on the oven).
- When the cake is cooked, remove from oven and let cool slightly. Place a tea towel over top and flip the cake over the table. Remove the tray and peel carefully the parchment paper. Using the towel, start rolling the cake gently from one short end to the other; set aside.
- For the filling:
In a bowl, whip the cream with the powdered sugar and the vanilla extract until stiff peaks form.
- Unroll the cake, cut the edges of the cake with a knife and spread the filling with a spatula. Then, re-roll slowly to not break the cake (remove the towel as you rolling).
- For the topping:
Place the chocolate broken into pieces in a bowl and melt in the microwave.
- In an electric mixer, beat on medium speed the powdered sugar together with the softened margarine until obtain a creamy and homogeneous mixture. Add the melted chocolate and mix for 2 to 3 minutes until a quite creamy mixture.
- Cut a diagonal slice of the end and place next to the cake.
- With a spatula, cover the cake with the chocolate cream and use a fork to give a tree effect. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.