Going to have friends at home and want to prepare a different dinner? Prepare this delicious cod and bacon pie! You will surprise your friends with this quite tasty and pleasant recipe!
- 600 grams (1 1/3 pounds) desalted cod
- 50 grams (1 3/4 ounces) raw bacon
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- 200 grams (7 ounces) puff pastry
- Coriander (to taste)
- 1 medium onion
- Grated cheese (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- 200 ml (about 1 cup) milk
- 2 tablespoons corn starch flour
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- Pepper (to taste)
- Nutmeg (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
For the béchamel sauce:
- For the béchamel sauce:
Place the butter in a saucepan and heat over low heat. When the butter start to melt, add the flour with a little milk and whisk until the flour is dissolved. Gradually add the rest of the milk, increase to medium heat and stir until a homogeneous and creamy mixture, about 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and season with a little salt, pepper and nutmeg. Mix the seasonings in the sauce and let cool. Béchamel sauce recipe.
- Grease a pie pan (24 centimeters (9 1/2 inches)) with some butter, line with the pastry and prick the bottom with a fork.
- Place the cod in a saucepan with water and boil over high heat. When starts boiling, reduce to low heat and cook for about 6 to 7 minutes. When the cod is cooked, drain it with a skimmer. Remove the skin and bones and flake it with a fork.
- Place the olive oil, the chopped onion and the bacon cut in small pieces in a saucepan and cook over low heat for about 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the flaked cod and season with a little pepper. Stir and cook 6 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour the béchamel and sprinkle with chopped coriander. Mix well and cook for more 2 to 3 minutes until starts bubbling.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
- Pour the cod and bacon mixture over the pie and sprinkle with grated cheese. Bake until golden, about 30 minutes.
- Turn off the oven and serve.