Easter has arrived, time to gather the whole family and enjoy the good and traditional Portuguese food! Offer to all your family this spectacular Easter nest, has an excellent presentation and is very delicious! Good Easter!
- For the cake:
- 150 grams (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 125 grams (4 1/2 ounces) natural yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon liquid caramel
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 200 grams (7 ounces) dark chocolate
- 150 ml (1/3 pint (157ml)) whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- Sugared almonds
- Chocolate shavings
For the topping:
- For the cake:
Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF). Grease a bundt cake pan (24 x 8 centimeters (9 1/2-inch diameter with 3 1/4-inch-high sides)) with margarine and dust with some flour.
- Separate the yolks from the whites. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form and store in the fridge.
- In an electric mixer, beat on medium speed the egg yolks, sugar and the lemon zest until a creamy mixture. Add the vanilla extract, liquid caramel, yoghurt and mix for 3 to 4 minutes until well incorporated. Reduce the mixer speed to low, add the flour mixed with the baking powder and beat until obtain a homogeneous and quite creamy mixture. Finally, fold gently the whipped egg whites with a spatula.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 to 30 minutes (the time depends on the oven).
- When the cake is cooked, remove from oven, unmold onto a plate and set aside.
- For the topping:
In a bowl, place the chocolate broken into pieces together with the margarine and melt in the microwave. Remove from microwave and stir with a fork until a cramy mixture. Pour the cream and mix well.
- Pour the chocolate cream over the cake and garnish with chocolate shavings. Garnish with sugared almonds and serve.