Cod bread soup2013-04-25
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 25m
- Ready In : 35m
Rate this recipe:
A typical recipe of Southern Portugal, flaked cod mixed in bread, aromatized with olive oil, garlic and coriander, a true delight…
Units: Metric / (Units: US)
- 3 desalted cod steaks (about 750 grams / (1 2/3 pounds))
- 250 grams / (8 3/4 ounces) stale bread cut into pieces
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 4 eggs
- Coriander (to taste)
- 1.5 liters / (6 1/3 cups) water
- 100 ml / (6 3/4 tablespoons) olive oil
- Pepper (to taste)
- A pinch of salt
- Put the cod steaks in a saucepan with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. When starts boiling, reduce to medium-low heat and cook about 7 to 8 minutes. Drain the cod steaks with a skimmer and remove the skin and bones. Flake it with a fork and set aside (reserve the cooking water).
- Poach the eggs in the cod cooking water (Place the saucepan back on the stove over high heat. When the water start bubbling slightly, reduce to low heat, pour the eggs one by one and let them poach). When the eggs are poached, drain them with a skimmer and set aside. Reserve the cooking water.
- In a bowl, place the olive oil, chopped garlics, chopped coriander, pepper and mix well. Add the flaked cod together with the bread cut into bits and the cooking water. Season with a pinch of salt and mix. Finally, add the poached eggs, sprinkle with a little more chopped coriander and serve.