This typical recipe from the south of Portugal is much appreciated by everyone. With few ingredients and very simple to prepare this cod bread soup is one of those perfect recipes for a family Sunday lunch! Bon appetit!!!
- 3 desalted cod steaks (about 750 grams (1 2/3 pounds))
- 250 grams (8 3/4 ounces) stale bread cut into pieces
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 4 eggs
- Coriander (to taste)
- 1.5 liters (about 6 cups) water
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes
- Pepper (to taste)
- A pinch of salt
- Place the cod steaks in a saucepan with water and boil over high heat. When starts boiling, reduce to medium-low heat and cook the cod for about 7 to 8 minutes. Drain the cod with a skimmer for a dish and remove the skin and bones (reserve the cooking water). Flake the cod with a fork and set aside.
- Place the olive oil, the crushed garlic and the coriander in a saucepan and saute for about 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the peeled tomatoes cut into small pieces and cook until the tomato start to break down, stirring occasionally. Add the flaked cod and the bread cut into pieces and season with a little salt and pepper. Mix the cod and the bread and pour the cod cooking water. When the water starts boiling, add the eggs and let them poach over medium-low heat for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, season with a little more pepper and serve immediately.