The octopus is well appreciated in the traditional Portuguese food, a recipe that can be prepared in a healthy and nutritious way is octopus à jardineira! With the vegetables and the octopus flavor this dish is simply divine!
- 1.2 kg (2 2/3 pounds) octopus
- 200 grams (7 ounces) green beans
- 200 grams (1 1/3 cups) peas
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 medium onion
- 1 small onion to cook the octopus
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 green pepper
- Pepper (to taste)
- 1 kg (2 1/4 pounds) potatoes
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- A drizzle of olive oil to cook the octopus
- Parsley (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
- Clean and wash the octopus. Put it in a saucepan with water seasoned with a little salt, a drizzle of olive oil and a unpeeled small onion. Bring to a boil over high heat. When starts boiling, reduce to medium-low heat and cook the octopus for 25 to 30 minutes. When the octopus is cooked, drain and cut it in small pieces; set aside. Reserve the cooking water.
- Meanwhile, peel and wash the potatoes, carrots and the green beans. Cut the potatoes into quarters and the carrots and green beans into small pieces; set aside.
- Put the chopped onion, chopped garlic, olive oil, pepper and the green pepper cut into strips in a saucepan and saute over low heat until the onion starts to turn golden brown. Add the peeled tomatoes cut into small pieces and cook over low heat until the tomato start to break down. Then, add the octopus, stir and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Pour 400 ml (1 3/4 cups) of the cooking water and boil over high heat. When starts boiling, reduce to low heat and add the peas, green beans and the carrots cut into small pieces and the potatoes cut into quarters. Season with a little more salt, stir and cook about 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off the heat, sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.