A cake with excellent presentation aromatized with cinnamon, filled with a very tasty and creamy sweet egg cream.
- For the cake:
- 5 eggs
- 150 grams (1 cup) dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 100 grams (3/4 cup) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
- 100 ml (1/2 cup) water
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 lemon peel
- 1 cinnamon stick
For the filling:
- For the cake:
Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF). Grease a round cake pan (25 x 6 centimeters (9 3/4 x 2 1/3 inches)) with margarine and dust with flour.
- In an electric mixer, beat on medium speed the eggs and the brown sugar until a creamy mixture. Add the cinnamon and the vanilla extract and beat for 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce the mixer speed to low, add the flour mixed with the baking powder and beat until obtain a homogeneous and creamy mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes (the time depends on the oven).
- Turn off the oven, unmold and let cool to room temperature.
- For the filling:
In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks.
- In a saucepan, put the sugar, water, lemon peel and the cinnamon stick. Stir and place the pan over low heat until starts bubbling. Turn off the heat, remove the lemon peel and the cinnamon stick and let cool about 5 minutes (reserve the cinnamon stick).
- Slowly add the previous mixture to the beaten egg yolks and go stirring with a wire whisk until a homogeneous mixture. Pour in a saucepan together with the cinnamon stick and place over low heat about 15 minutes until creamy (pass a wooden spoon in the bottom of the saucepan and if it leaves a trail like a road, the sweet is ready), stirring occasionally.
- Turn off the heat, remove the cinnamon stick and let cool a little.
- Slice the cake in half with a long sharp knife. Place the bottom slice of the cake on a platter and spread with the sweet. Cover with the top slice of the cake and serve.
Note: Watch here the sweet egg cream video.