A traditional cake with the typical Portuguese flavors it’s always a good option at any party or special occasion! We recommend this almond cake recipe filled with sweet egg cream. It has an excellent presentation and everyone will love it!
For the cake:
- 200 grams (7 ounces) almond kernel
- 5 egg whites
- 150 grams (2/3 cup) granulated sugar
- 150 grams (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon liquid caramel
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) softened butter
- 250 grams (8 3/4 ounces) natural yogurt
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
- 100 ml (1/2 cup) water
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 lemon peel
- 1 cinnamon stick
For the filling:
- For the cake:
Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF). Grease a round cake pan (25 x 6 centimeters (9 3/4 x 2 1/3 inches)) with margarine and dust with some flour.
- Separate the yolks from the whites. Store the yolks for the sweet egg cream.
- In a food processor, grind the almonds until they become a fine powder; set aside.
- In an electric mixer, beat on medium speed the sugar and the egg whites until a homogeneous mixture. Add the grinded almond kernel, the yogurt, liquid caramel and mix for 3 to 4 minutes until it’s nicely incorporated. Reduce the mixer speed to low, add the flour mixed with the baking powder and beat until obtain a homogeneous and quite creamy mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 to 40 minutes (the time depends on the oven).
- Turn off the oven, unmold and let cool to room temperature.
- For the filling:
In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks.
- In a saucepan, put the sugar, water, lemon peel and the cinnamon stick, stir and bring to low heat until it starts bubbling. Turn off the heat, remove the lemon peel and the cinnamon stick and let cool about 5 minutes (reserve the cinnamon stick).
- Slowly add the previous mixture to the beaten egg yolks and go stirring with a wire whisk until a homogeneous mixture. Pour in a saucepan together with the cinnamon stick and bring to low heat about 15 minutes until creamy (pass a wooden spoon in the bottom of the saucepan and if it leaves a trail like a road, the sweet is ready), stirring occasionally.
- Turn off the heat, remove the cinnamon stick and let cool completely.
- Slice the cake in half with a long sharp knife. Place the bottom slice of the cake on a platter and spread with the sweet. Cover with the top slice of the cake and serve.
Note: Watch here the sweet egg cream video.