Want to prepare a traditional Portuguese recipe for the whole family? We have the ideal solution, cod crumbs with poached eggs, it’s simple, delicious and economical…
- 3 desalted cod steaks (about 750 grams (1 2/3 pounds))
- 4 eggs
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 100 ml (1/2 cup) olive oil
- Coriander (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- 300 grams (10 1/2 ounces) stale bread cut into pieces
- 750 ml (about 3 cups) water
- Salt (to taste)
- Put the cod in a saucepan with water and boil over high heat. When starts boiling, reduce to medium-low heat and cook for about 5 to 6 minutes. When the cod is cooked, drain it with a skimmer and let cool slightly. Remove the skin and bones and flake the cod with a fork.
- Boil the water 750 ml (about 3 cups) in a saucepan.
- Pour the olive oil, the chopped garlic and the flaked cod in a frying pan and cook over low heat for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the bread, season with a little salt and pepper and mix well. Then, pour the boiling water gradually and stir until the bread start to break down slightly. Sprinkle with chopped coriander, stir and cook for more 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a saucepan place enough water to poach the eggs and two teaspoons vinegar. Boil over medium-high heat. When you start to see small air bubbles coming up from the bottom of the pan, add the eggs and poach them on medium heat about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the eggs with a skimmer.
- Serve the Portuguese cod migas with the poached eggs seasoned with some pepper.