The sericaia is a typical Portuguese sweet greatly appreciated in Portugal. Get to know our recipe and delight yourself.
- 350 ml (1 1/2 cups) milk
- Zest of half a lemon
- 125 grams (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
- 75 grams (1/2 cup) all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- Cinnamon (enough to cover completely the sweet)
- Place the milk, sugar and the flour in a saucepan. Whisk together and cook over medium heat. Add the lemon zest and stir until the cream thicken. Turn off the heat, place the mixture in a large bowl and allow to cool until lukewarm (cover the bowl with cling film with a few holes in the middle to let out the steam).
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
- Meanwhile, separate the yolks from the whites. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form and set aside. Mix lightly the yolks with a fork. Add to the cream and stir. Then, fold gently with a spatula the whipped egg whites.
- Pour the mixture in a rectangular baking dish, sprinkle with cinnamon powder (enough to cover completely the sweet) and bake about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, let cool to room temperature and serve.