Simple cod in the oven2014-01-18
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 50m
- Ready In : 60m
Rate this recipe:
The cod in the oven is one of the most appreciated traditional Portuguese recipes. Try this simple cod recipe in the oven and prepare a traditional lunch with family!
Units: Metric / (Units: US)
- 4 desalted cod steaks (about 1 kg / (2 1/4 pounds))
- 2 medium onions
- 4 cloves of garlic
- Pepper (to taste)
- 150 ml / (1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons) olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1.2 kg / (2 2/3 pounds) potatoes
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes
- Salt (to taste)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC / (350ºF).
- In the bottom of a baking dish put the onions cut into round slices and, on top, the cod steaks cut into pieces together with the chopped garlics, some pepper, bay leaf, the peeled tomatoes cut into small pieces and the olive oil. Bake until start to turn slightly golden, about 50 minutes. Occasionally drizzle the cod with the sauce.
- Meanwhile, peel, wash the potatoes and cut them into cubes. Season with salt and fry them in hot oil. When they are fried, put them on a plate with absorbent paper.
- Turn off the oven and serve the cod drizzled with the sauce and the fries.
Nutrition facts per serving (4 servings):
Total Fat: 38 g(59%)
Saturated Fat: 5.5 g(28%)
Cholesterol: 138 mg(46%)
Sodium: 257 mg(11%)
Total Carbohydrate: 55.5 g(19%)
Protein: 63.5 g