Do you like chocolate? This is the ideal cake for you, the chocolate aroma is always present and its special filling gives a divine touch. It’s ideal for any party, any occasion and never will let you down.
- For the cake:
- 150 grams (5 1/3 ounces) dark chocolate
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) milk
- Zest of one lemon
- 5 eggs
- 150 grams (about 1 cup) dark brown sugar
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) margarine
- 150 grams (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 125 grams (1 cup) chocolate powder
- 250 ml (about 1 cup) milk
- 397 grams (14 ounces) condensed milk
- Chocolate sprinkles (to taste)
For the filling:
- For the cake:
Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF). Grease a round cake pan (23 x 7 centimeters (9 x 2 3/4 inches)) with margarine and dust with some flour.
- Separate the yolks from the whites. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form and reserve in the fridge.
- Put the chocolate broken into pieces and the margarine in a bowl and melt in the microwave. Remove from microwave and stir with a fork until a creamy mixture; set aside.
- In an electric mixer, beat on medium speed the egg yolks, brown sugar and the lemon zest until obtain a creamy mixture. Add the chocolate, milk and mix for 3 to 4 minutes until it’s nicely incorporated. Reduce the mixer speed to low, add the flour mixed with the baking powder and beat until obtain a homogeneous and creamy mixture. Finally, fold gently with a spatula the whipped egg whites.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40 to 45 minutes (the time depends on the oven).
- Turn off the oven, unmold the cake onto a plate and let cool.
- For the filling:
In a saucepan place the milk, chocolate powder, condensed milk and whisk nicely. Place the pan over low heat and stir occasionally with a wooden spoon until the cream thickens; about 25 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow to cool about 5 minutes.
- Slice the cake in half with a long knife. Spread the bottom slice of the cake with a little of the cream. Cover with the top slice of the cake and spread with the remaining cream.
- Garnish the cake with chocolate sprinkles and serve. Store the cake in the fridge.