The cod is one of the most popular fish in the traditional Portuguese cuisine. One of the most famous and delicious recipes is the cod "à lagareiro"! It’s an ideal meal for a family lunch! Try it, it’s simple and easy to prepare!!
- 4 desalted cod steaks (about 1 kg (2 1/4 pounds))
- 8 cloves of garlic
- Salt (to taste)
- 200 ml (about 1 cup) olive oil
- Pepper (to taste)
- Bay leaf (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1.2 kg (2 2/3 pounds) small potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
- Wash the potatoes and give a small cut on each of them. Put them on a baking dish and season with salt.
- Put the cod steaks on another baking dish and drizzle with a little olive oil. Put the two baking pans on the oven and bake until the potatoes and the codfish start to turn slightly golden, about 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil over medium-low heat the olive oil (200 ml (about 1 cup)), the unpeeled crushed garlic, pepper and the paprika. When starts boiling, turn off the heat.
- Remove the cod and the potatoes from the oven, drizzle with the olive oil mixture and serve.