Want to prepare a family lunch? We suggest this typical Portuguese rice and beans recipe! It’s nutritious, tasty and ideal for winter days!
- 300 grams (10 1/2 ounces) red beans
- 300 grams (10 1/2 ounces) spare ribs cut into pieces
- 250 grams (1 1/4 cups) rice
- 75 grams (2 2/3 ounces) Portuguese chouriço
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- Pepper (to taste)
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt (to taste)
- Soak the beans overnight.
- In a pressure cooker with water, cook the beans together with the spare ribs for about 20 minutes. When everything is cooked, remove the beans and the spare ribs with a skimmer to a plate and reserve the cooking water.
- In a saucepan, put the olive oil, the chopped onion, the chopped garlic, bay leaf, the chouriço cut into round slices and the spare ribs. Season with some salt and pepper, stir and cook over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beans and the rice seasoned with a little more salt. Stir, pour the cooking water (enough water to cover completely the mixture) and boil over medium-high heat. When starts boiling, reduce to low heat and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and serve.