This pippin apple cake is delicious and is great for decorating any table, has an excellent presentation and is perfect for a party day.
- 5 eggs
- 2 pippin apples
- 150 grams (about 1 cup) brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 125 grams (4 1/2 ounces) natural yogurt
- 150 grams (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 200 grams (about 1 cup) granulated sugar to caramelize
- Wash and peel the apples. Put them in a bowl and drizzle with lemon juice to prevent from oxidizing.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF). Pour 200 grams (about 1 cup) sugar in a round cake pan (25 x 6 centimeters (9 3/4 x 2 1/3 inches)) and place the cake pan on the stove over low heat until caramelize the sugar (go turning the cake pan until stays completely caramelized). Turn off the heat and place the apple cut in slices on the bottom of the cake pan.
- Separate the yolks from the whites. Beat the egg whites until stiff and set aside in the fridge.
- In an electric mixer, beat on medium speed the brown sugar together with the egg yolks until a creamy and homogeneous mixture. Add the yogurt and the honey and mix for about 2 to 3 minutes to incorporate. Reduce the mixer speed to low, add the flour mixed with the baking powder and beat until obtain a quite creamy mixture. Finally, fold gently with a spatula the whipped egg whites and the remaining pippin apple cut into pieces.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 to 40 minutes (the time depends on the oven).
- Turn off the oven and unmold the cake onto a plate. Let cool completely and serve.