Portuguese sponge cake is a delicious typical cake, very appreciated and easy to prepare. Try it you won’t regret!
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER
- 2 whole eggs
- 6 egg yolks
- 75 grams (1/3 cup) granulated sugar
- 50 grams (1/3 cup) corn starch flour
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC (430ºF). Line a round cake pan (25 x 6 centimeters (9 3/4 x 2 1/3 inches)) with parchment paper.
- In an electric mixer, beat on medium speed the whole eggs and the sugar until obtain a creamy mixture. Then, add the egg yolks and beat for 2 to 3 minutes until well incorporated. Finally, fold with a spatula the sifted corn starch flour.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake about 8 to 10 minutes (the time depends on the oven). This cake should stay a bit creamy inside. When the cake start to browned (just like in the picture) turn off the heat.
- Remove the cake from oven and unmold onto a plate. Allow to cool to room temperature and serve.