Farófias ‘Portuguese sweet’2012-11-06
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 30m
Rate this recipe:
We present a very tasty traditional dessert that everyone will love! This delicious sweet is simple, easy to prepare and has excellent presentation.
Units: Metric / (Units: US)
- 4 eggs
- 650 ml / (2 3/4 cups) milk
- 100 grams / (3 1/2 ounces) sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Cinnamon powder (to taste)
- 1 lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- Dissolve the corn starch in 50 ml / (3 1/3 tablespoons) milk.
- In a saucepan place the remaining milk, the lemon peel, cinnamon stick and the dissolved cornstarch flour. Boil over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, separate the yolks from the whites. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- When the milk starts boiling, reduce to low heat and remove the cinnamon stick and the lemon peel. Add beaten egg whites portions with a spoon and go turning until they are cooked.
- When they are cooked, turn off the heat, drain them well with a skimmer and place in a bowl (reserve the milk).
- In an electric mixer, beat on medium speed the egg yolks and the sugar until a quite creamy mixture. Add to the milk that is in the pan, stirring constantly. Place the pan back over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until obtain a creamy texture, about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Pour the cream over the cooked egg whites and sprinkle with cinnamon powder. Let cool to room temperature and serve.