Want a hot soup in winter days? Prepare this delicious cod soup… It’s so tasty that you will want to repeat…
- 3 desalted cod steaks (about 700 grams / (1 1/2 pounds))
- 2 medium onions
- 450 grams / (1 pound) potatoes
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 50 ml / (3 1/3 tablespoons) olive oil
- Pepper (to taste)
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes
- 1 liter / (4 1/4 cups) water
- Coriander (to taste)
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vinegar to poach the eggs
- Salt (to taste)
- Peel and wash the potatoes. Place the cod and the potatoes in a saucepan with water (1 liter) seasoned with some salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. When starts boiling, reduce to medium heat and cook about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove the cod about 5 minutes after the water starts boiling and drain it with a skimmer. Remove the skin and bones from the cod and flake it with a fork. When the potatoes are cooked, drain them and cut into pieces (reserve the cooking water). Set aside.
- Put the olive oil, the onions cut into round slices and the chopped garlic in a saucepan and saute over low heat until the onion starts to turn slightly golden. Add the peeled tomatoes cut into small pieces and cook until the tomato start to break down. Then, add the flaked cod and the potatoes, season with a little pepper and cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- Pour the cooking water, stir and boil over medium-high heat about 4 to 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and sprinkle with chopped coriander.
- Meanwhile, poach the eggs. In a saucepan place enough water to poach the eggs, two teaspoons vinegar and a sprig of coriander. Boil over medium-high heat. When you start to see small air bubbles coming up from the bottom of the pan, add the eggs and poach them on medium heat about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve the soup with poached eggs and bread cut into pieces (if you prefer you can put the bread pieces in the bottom of the dish and pour the soup over the bread).