A recipe of cod cooked with bread, egg yolks and beaten egg whites, that goes to the oven sprinkled with breadcrumbs.
- 3 desalted cod steaks (about 750 grams / (1 2/3 pounds))
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 200 grams / (7 ounces) bread
- 4 eggs
- Pepper (to taste)
- 100 ml / (6 3/4 tablespoons) olive oil
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- Salt (to taste)
- Cook the cod in a pan with water. When the cod is cooked, drain it and allow to cool slightly. Remove the skins and the spines and shred into slivers. Set aside.
- Cut the bread into pieces and soak in water. Drain it well.
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites. Beat the egg whites until stiff and set aside.
- In a pan place the olive oil, chopped garlic and the bay leaf. Stir and leave to sauté on low heat about three to four minutes. Add the bread and wrap in the sautéed. Remove briefly the pan from heat and add the egg yolks stirring constantly. Season with pepper and salt if you think necessary and mix the shredded cod. Finally, wrap carefully the egg whites.
- Place the mixture in a baking dish and bring to preheated oven at 180°C / (350ºF) about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately.