This strawberry cake with cream is divine! It’s very light, delicious and has excellent presentation. It can be presented as a birthday cake. Try it…
For the cake:
- 5 eggs
- 150 grams (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 150 grams (about 1 cup) brown sugar
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 250 grams (8 3/4 ounces) strawberries
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar to beat the cream
- 300 ml (2/3 pint (315 ml)) heavy whipping cream
For the filling:
- For the cake:
Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF). Grease a round cake pan (23 x 7 centimeters (9 x 2 3/4 inches)) with margarine and dust with some flour.
- In an electric mixer, beat on medium speed the eggs, brown sugar and the lemon zest until a homogeneous mixture. Reduce the mixer speed to low, add the flour mixed with the baking powder and beat until obtain a homogeneous and creamy mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 to 35 minutes (the time depends on the oven).
- Remove the cake from oven, unmold onto a plate and let cool slightly.
- For the filling:
Wash and remove the stem from the strawberries. Place 150 grams (5 1/3 ounces) of the strawberries in a blender and blend on high until smooth. Cut the remaining strawberries in sliced.
- Beat the cream with the powdered sugar until stiff peaks form (don’t overbeat the cream).
- Slice the cake in half with a long sharp knife. Place the bottom slice of the cake on a platter, spread with some whipped cream and garnish with the strawberries cut into slices. Cover with the top slice of the cake and spread with the remaining whipped cream. Pour the strawberry cream over the cake and serve. Store the cake in the fridge.